I Sewed Something!

As I got more excited about quilting I realized that it was time to own my own sewing machine. I did a lot of research and comparing before deciding to get a good sewing machine. The Cadillac of sewing machines. It makes sense really--why buy something that I'll outgrow? Why not start with the best? This is going to be a life-long hobby after all.

So I did it. I bought a machine. And then I didn't know what to do with it. I scoured the Internet for pattern ideas before realizing that all of the things I like are really small an intricate. So, as the days turned to weeks it wasn't practical to have my beautiful new machine out on the counter top anymore. After a couple months I started to feel really guilty about my new Cadillac just sitting in the closet, so after seeing a photo on Connie's blog, I decided to just jump right in. This is the photo I'm talking about.



Turns out it wasn't as easy as I expected. First, I couldn't find a pattern similar (those that know me know that I need rules and guidelines). Then I searched the entire city of Atlanta (my mom can vouch for this) for cool, non-traditional Christmas fabric. Eventually I decided on cool (but traditional) fabric and downloaded a general stocking outline for the shape. I printed the outline and drew lines across it to denote how I wanted the quilting pattern to work. Then, and here's where it gets really technical, I totally winged it--I put the pattern over the fabric, put tick marks where I wanted to cut, and used a ruler to connect my markings. Unfortunately I hadn't found my rotary cutter, so I had to cut each piece with scissors. After everything was sized and cut I pieced and sewed them together, did some trimming, added batting, quilted, sewed the sides together, and put the double bias tape at the top to finish it off.

Overall, I'm thrilled with how this came out. It's nice and substantial, so it will be durable and last a lifetime. I realized that it would make a great Christmas gift for kids, and then started brainstorming how to add names or initials to it. I can't wait to make a few more, and maybe spend the time online looking for more unique fabric.
 
Copyright 2010